The platoon was formed in October 1945 with men and horses from the 78th Cavalry Reconaissance Troop, 78th Infantry Division. The horses were seized from a Hungarian Cavalry unit that was captured by US forces in Meckelnburg on April 1st 1945. The unit was designed to serve as an honor guard, escort platoon, and as a ceremonial element at reviews and other military events. The Horse Platoon was retired on Mar. 31st, 1958.